This post may contain affiliate links.
Nothing is more important than making sure your kids are happy and safe, so we've teamed up with BubbleBum to share some tips for child passenger safety and to give away a fantastic prize package to one lucky family! Kids love staying both safe and comfortable with BubbleBum’s kid-approved, super cool inflatable booster seat. Buckle up your older kids (age 4-11) in a car booster seat providing safety and comfort that is the top choice for all parents. BubbleBum gives kiddos the perfect "boost" to prevent the risk of slouching (which happens with flat car booster seats) and seat belt abdominal injury in the event of a crash. The cool factor makes kids more likely to want to use a booster seat.
BubbleBum weighs less than a pound and inflates/deflates in minutes. It meets and exceeds all Europe and U.S. safety regulations, even in the deflated state. The air-filled design provides extra comfort compared to flat booster seat alternatives. BubbleBum booster seats utilize memory foam technology to help create stability and structural integrity in the seat with side positioners to correctly position the lap belt. BubbleBum was created by Grainne Kelly, an Irish mom-of-two, as a solution to her own struggles lugging heavy booster seats during her travels with her kids. With her expertise and direction, BubbleBum is leading the way in ensuring that every child has a safe and comfortable booster seat on every car ride. And to help you ensure every child is safe in every vehicle, Grainne has the below tips for you:
Tips for Child Passenger Safety
- Visit a Safe Kids child restraint check-up event. There are over 500 safety inspection stations across the U.S. that are set up to help teach parents how to safely transport kids. Many safety stations are located in GM dealerships, hospitals, or fire stations. Check for an event or check-up station near you at www.safekids.org.
- Buckle up your child for every drive, starting with the first ride home from the hospital. Set a good example by buckling up for every ride, too.
- Keep babies in a rear-facing car seat until they are at least 2-years-old. Check your state law and car seat manufacturer’s guidelines for height and weight. Kids receive the best protection from head, neck, and spinal injuries in a rear-facing position.
- When installing forward-facing car seats, attach the top tether after tightening the lock and seat belt or lower latches. Ensure the seat is securely fastened before putting your child in the car seat. Tug on the seat, and if it moves more than an inch, it has not been installed properly.
- Treat kids like VIPS: keep them in the backseat until they are 13.
- Check car seat labels to determine if they are an appropriate fit for your child’s age, height, and weight.
- Toys can injure kids in a crash, so only bring soft toys than can be secured and can’t float freely in the car.
- Check your car seat’s expiration date, as most car seats expire within six years. Check the label to make sure it still meets safety requirements. If it is out of date, discard it in a dark trash bag so it won’t be pulled from the trash and reused.
- Don’t buy a used car seat from a thrift store or Craigslist, as it is important to know the history of the car seat by knowing the previous owner. Once a car seat has expired or been in a crash, it is deemed unsafe and must be discarded.
- Use the pinch test to ensure the car seat straps are snug enough. When buckled in, parents should not be able to pinch extra fabric on the strap around the child’s shoulders.
- Your child is ready for a booster seat if he exceeds height and weight limits, his shoulders are above the harness slots, or his ears are above the top of the car seat.
- Have a portable booster seat handy (such as the BubbleBum inflatable booster seat) on vacations to use in taxi rides, rental cars, grandma’s car or for that extra unexpected little passenger in daily carpooling. They are easy to pack fitting into a large pursue or backpack and easy to inflate. Kids are 59% safer in booster seat than just a seat belt. BubbleBum meets and exceeds the US FMVSS213 safety regulations and has been awarded the Best BET Booster award by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety multiple times.
- Never leave a child alone in the car, as the temperatures in a car can escalate quickly in warm weather and cause a heat stroke or even death. Leaving the car running to keep kids cool or warm depending on the weather is not safe, as a running car is a target for thieves and toddlers are able to accidentally engage the vehicle if they get out of their seat. Always take kids inside when you are running errands.
Ready for a great giveaway to keep your kids happy and safe while in the car?
Our winner will receive the following:
- BubbleBum - It's a best seller and parents’ favorite, winner of more than 20 design and innovation awards including Mumsnet, Mother & Baby and Practical Parenting. The portable, lightweight, inflatable car booster seat for children aged between 4-11 easily deflates and packs away, making it perfect for vacations, rental cars, taxis, coach journeys, school trips or carpooling.
- Sneck Travel Pillow - This comfy travel pillow’s micro-bead filled pillow pods and cozy material allow your child to sleep in total comfort, while providing head and neck support. Perfect for car journeys, bus trips or fly-in’s, the Sneck easily attaches to the headrest with a Velcro strap so it stays in place and the kids can snooze comfortably. This cool pillow system also comes with a stash pocket so your child can store their mp3 player or mobile device while not in use.
- Junkie Organizer - The Junkie transforms your backseat, organize your junk and keeps your kids entertained. With a “tech mount” for kids to share one device, both kids can access, interact and view together. Two compact, retractable activity trays for snacking and play. Junkie also features two convenient cup holders. Expanding compartment fits the removable, reusable, refillable totebag with insulated pocket, to transport all your junk from home to car.
- A $75 Amazon Gift Card
Open to the US only, ages 18 and up. Ends 10/3/16 at 11:59 PM EST. Enter using the Giveaway Tools form below. Good Luck!