The biggest project (that I've completed) is a bed-sized afghan for my hubby. It turned out fairly nicely--but still had quite a bit of the butterfly effect.
Well, now that I am back in the crocheting zone I decided to take a look at actual granny square patterns. In the past I was working from a pattern given to me at a 4-H craft camp day. Back then I was afraid of reading patterns so I worked primarily from oral instructions or pictures from library books. What struck me immediately was that I had been using more chains between shells and in corners than any of the online patterns indicated. (You have to check out this page of patterns--it's almost overwhelming and not in English, but there are so many cool things that I want to try!) Maybe the extra chains were helping to cause my "butterfly" shape?
With some of the yarn I picked up from Michael's I made this blue and cream afghan. It could work as a baby blanket or a lap afghan. I am pretty happy with how it turned out--it's a square! I did cut down the number of chains--corners only had two and between each shell only had one.
|It is a granny SQUARE! |
There is the slightest bit of "butterflying" but not much.
(By the way, it is very difficult in a small apartment to find a place to photgraph an entire blanket laid flat.)
|This is a close-up of the center of the afghan. I do really like how the colors work together.|
|For the edging I did two rows of single crochet all around.|
|The finished product!|
|I was featured!|
Check out these amazing places I like to party!